RE: syntax error with alter type - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Kevin Brannen
Subject RE: syntax error with alter type
Date
List pgsql-general
Tom Lane wrote:

> Kevin Brannen <KBrannen@efji.com> writes:
> > So, can you (or anyone) help me understand what "alter type <type> drop attribute" is meant to do? I don't see
"attribute"on the page you reference.

> IIRC, that drops a column from a composite type; it's more or less a variant spelling of ALTER TABLE DROP COLUMN.

I'm going to guess this is part of the "SQL Standard", but I'd like to comment that this seems really ... weird. All
languageshave their warts or things they could have done better in hind sight, but this strikes me as very weird.

That being said, I can sort of see why you say that. Looking at the examples, I can see:

    ALTER TYPE compfoo ADD ATTRIBUTE f3 int;

which looks a lot like adding a column to a table. It would have been nice to know what "compfoo" is as that would have
clearedup some confusion. I guess I'll make a doc change request.

Of course, the real answer is that someone here in the past should have made a small table of reference values instead
ofcreating an ENUM, then I  wouldn't be facing this. Again, hind sight...sigh.

Thanks,
Kevin
This e-mail transmission, and any documents, files or previous e-mail messages attached to it, may contain confidential
information.If you are not the intended recipient, or a person responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient,
youare hereby notified that any disclosure, distribution, review, copy or use of any of the information contained in or
attachedto this message is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately
notifyus by reply e-mail, and destroy the original transmission and its attachments without reading them or saving them
todisk. Thank you.