could not read from hash-join temporary file: SUCCESS && DB goes into recovery mode - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Reid Thompson
Subject could not read from hash-join temporary file: SUCCESS && DB goes into recovery mode
Date
Re: could not read from hash-join temporary file: SUCCESS && DB goes into recovery mode  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org>)
List pgsql-general

Hi I’m looking for some guidance related to the subject line issue.

PostgreSQL 11.8 on x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by gcc (GCC) 4.8.5 20150623 (Red Hat 4.8.5-39), 64-bit

128GB RAM

pgsql_tmp is on a FS with 2+TB free

Information that I’ve been able to find on the web indicates

  1. That the error message has been updated ( i.e. SUCCESS is not the proper value)
  2. That the error is due to running out of temporary space either disk space or maybe temp_buffers?

,Would the presumption that the query is running out of temp_buffers be correct? Or is there something else that I should be looking at/for? (i.e. I’m not aware of any disk quota rules that would restrict creation of tmp files on disk)

Thanks,

reid