RE: how to slow down parts of Pg - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Kevin Brannen
Subject RE: how to slow down parts of Pg
Date
List pgsql-general

From: Virendra Kumar <viru_7683@yahoo.com>

>Autovacuum does takes care of dead tuples and return space to table's allocated size and can be re-used by fresh incoming rows or any updates.

>Index bloat is still not being taken care of by autovacuum process. You should use pg_repack to do index rebuild. Keep in mind that pg_repack requires double the space of indexes, since there will be two indexes existing during rebuild processes.

Ha! I knew there was a reason I was doing the full, I just couldn't remember indexes was why. Pg_repack needs to move higher on the ToDo list too. I need a clone to do all of this. :)

From: David G. Johnston <david.g.johnston@gmail.com>
> Imagine you have an auto-expanding array and also that individual cells can be reused if the data in them is removed first…

Yes, the concepts aren't that hard, the issue is how to apply them in the most effective manner. Still, nice explanation, I'll use that when explaining the work to the group so I can pass the info along.

Thanks!

Kevin

This e-mail transmission, and any documents, files or previous e-mail messages attached to it, may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, or a person responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, distribution, review, copy or use of any of the information contained in or attached to this message is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately notify us by reply e-mail, and destroy the original transmission and its attachments without reading them or saving them to disk. Thank you.