PostgreSQL Windows Install Log causes errorDump in log - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Stephen L. De Rudder
Subject PostgreSQL Windows Install Log causes errorDump in log
Date
List pgsql-bugs

The following command:

postgresql-15.2-1-windows-x64.exe --mode unattended --disable-components pgAdmin,stackbuilder --debugtrace PostgreSQLInstall.Log --debuglevel 2

causes an <errorDump> in the PostgreSQLInstall.Log file instead of log data. The command is being run in a cmd.exe with run-as-administrator on a Windows Server 2019 Std system. As far as I can tell it does look like PostgreSQL does get installed successfully.

Note: I had done uninstall of 15.1-1 and deleted the “C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\15\data” directory before I kicked off the new install. I had also tried as upgrade and changing some command line options like debug level to 4.

Note: I didn’t find anything in the doc that indicated this is expected output for Windows install log, but I am assuming the log should be human readable as compared to hex dump of Windows crash dump.

Thanks,

SLDR

(Stephen L. De Rudder)

Snipit of PostgreSQLInstall.Log:

<errorDump>

    <context>MwSUdmn65MlTrMe4IqeppqkNNDqj9jeG5FbNLDrFyE3uazTecgX4crJDHNdA

fmN0wfxMfdVTxHEjK4xdTV9OtoBvTphbqHkdQ5NtEI6Dg29OY/t4VHvEq5gf

===CUT===

dv1g7w==</context>

    <dump>0DppOHFlmeezZOQjsrKl7Jyh2KY8vs4XMD0TqteEnQfrVMpXreDTc5krWW96

2vI7TQWzqVDr4fy4xbRbI+I74bSbj24DRp8a2KxqTvMzmWDWdE7ySmp+ngfT

===CUT===

XLu+uJo0RKuqr6jvbOfvXwEhX68MGxF6nx4y1y47AolVRGFYpW6W+XS75RZ/

a4tiEmG+IjxojwggOQ/RVpPXjA==</dump>

    <installerVersion>22.8.0</installerVersion>

    <platformInfo>{Windows NT} 10.0 intel</platformInfo>

</errorDump>