Re: Please help - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Olivier PRENANT
Subject Re: Please help
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi Tom,

I can assure you that there are no problem anymore now that I have put the
password.

However the modification pg_hba.conf has been done a few days ago and
never noticed the error until today where I had a *LOT* of visits to my
site.

So I still think it's a matter of bad connection delay.

Connexion where comming very fast and postmaster did'nt release them fast
enough.

I now have this problem when I run vacuum analyze:

Script started on Mon Oct 21 18:20:35 2002
~ 18:20:35: psql pyrenet
Password:
Welcome to psql, the PostgreSQL interactive terminal.

Type:  \copyright for distribution terms      \h for help with SQL commands      \? for help on internal slash commands
    \g or terminate with semicolon to execute query      \q to quit

pyrenet=# VACUUM ANALYZE ;
FATAL 2:  could not open transaction-commit log directory (/usr/local/pgsql/data/pg_clog): Too many open files
server closed the connection unexpectedlyThis probably means the server terminated abnormallybefore or while processing
therequest.

The connection to the server was lost. Attempting reset: NOTICE:  Message from PostgreSQL backend:The Postmaster has
informedme that some other backenddied abnormally and possibly corrupted shared memory.I have rolled back the current
transactionand amgoing to terminate your database system connection and exit.Please reconnect to the database system
andrepeat your query.

Failed.
!# \q
~ 18:21:21: psql pyrenet
Password:
Welcome to psql, the PostgreSQL interactive terminal.

Type:  \copyright for distribution terms      \h for help with SQL commands      \? for help on internal slash commands
    \g or terminate with semicolon to execute query      \q to quit

pyrenet=# VACUUM ANALYZE ;
FATAL 2:  could not open transaction-commit log directory (/usr/local/pgsql/data/pg_clog): Too many open files
server closed the connection unexpectedlyThis probably means the server terminated abnormallybefore or while processing
therequest.

!# \q

script done on Mon Oct 21 18:21:51 2002

What causes (FILES=64).

Again, this is the very first time I have such problems on postgresql!!

--
Olivier PRENANT             Tel:    +33-5-61-50-97-00 (Work)
Quartier d'Harraud Turrou           +33-5-61-50-97-01 (Fax)