Re: Bug or feature? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Olivier PRENANT
Subject Re: Bug or feature?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, 12 May 2001, Tom Lane wrote:

> Olivier PRENANT <ohp@pyrenet.fr> writes:
> > Shoudn't postgres extend priviledges to the sequences generated by a
> > create table ???
>
> That's not clear.  The sequence is an independent object.  Had you
> explicitly done
>
>     CREATE SEQUENCE myseq;
>
>     CREATE TABLE mytab (f1 int default nextval('myseq'));
>
> would you expect that granting permissions on mytab automatically
> grants them on myseq as well?  I think you might consider that
> surprising.  But there isn't any difference between this and what
> CREATE TABLE does.
I'm aware of that.

> There have been suggestions in the past that SERIAL should be a "real
> data type" with the sequence object being hidden more effectively than
> it is now --- including auto-dropping it at table deletion, etc.
> If that were to happen then the permissions issue would probably go away
> too.  It doesn't seem to be a very high priority for anyone, though.

IMHO, this would be "cleanner".
1) When you have lots of auto generated sequence, it becomes diffcult to
track the ones you have to drop if you drop tables.
2) This ACL problem could disapear if serial were a real type.

Anyway what I'm concerned with is that I had no problems until I dumped
from 7.0.3 and reloaded if 7.1.

Regards

--
Olivier PRENANT             Tel:    +33-5-61-50-97-00 (Work)
Quartier d'Harraud Turrou           +33-5-61-50-97-01 (Fax)