Re: [GENERAL] arrays - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Mike Sosteric
Subject Re: [GENERAL] arrays
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Mon, 30 Sep 2002, Josh Berkus wrote:

thanks for this. we will stick with the relational model.

> Mike,
>
> > I have a very good sense of the strengths of relational databases. But
> > they are also limited when it comes to object orientaed data (like XML
> > records). I though arrays would be a way to simply the complexity you get
> > when you try and map objects to relations.
>
> In my experience, most XML records are, in fact, simple tree structures that
> are actually easy to represent in SQL.   But I don't know about yours.
>
> Certainly the translation of XML --> SQL Tree Structure is no more complex
> than XML --> Array, that I can see.
>
> > Is Cache open source?
>
> No.   It's a proprietary, and probably very expensive, database.  There are no
> open source OODBs that I know of, partly because of the current lack of
> international standards for OODBs.
>
> > are the XML databases that are evolved and sophisticated enough to use in
> > production environments.
>
> I don't know.   The last time I evaluated XML databases was a year ago, when
> there was nothing production-quality in existence.   But I don't know what
> the situation is now.
>
> --
> -Josh Berkus
>  Aglio Database Solutions
>  San Francisco

Mike Sosteric <mikes@athabascau.ca>       Managing Editor, EJS <http://www.sociology.org/>
Department of Global and Social Analysis  Executive Director, ICAAP <http://www.icaap.org/>
Athabasca University                      Cell: 1 780 909 1418
Simon Fraser University                   Adjunct Professor                   Masters of Publishing Program
--
This troubled planet is a place of the most violent contrasts.
Those that receive the rewards are totally separated from those who

___   This communication is intended for the use of the recipient to whom it   is addressed, and may contain
confidential,personal, and or privileged   information. Please contact us immediately if you are not the intended
recipientof this communication, and do not copy, distribute, or take   action relying on it. Any communications
receivedin error, or   subsequent reply, should be deleted or destroyed.

---