Re: [GENERAL] arrays - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Mike Sosteric
Subject Re: [GENERAL] arrays
Date
Re: [GENERAL] arrays  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-sql
On Mon, 30 Sep 2002, Bruno Wolff III wrote:

> > 3) can you do selects on only a portion of a multidimensional array. That
> > is, if you were storing multilanguage titles in a two dimensional array,
> >
> > [en], "english title"
> > [fr], "french title"
> >
> > could you select where title[0] = 'en'
>
> It is unusual to want to store arrays in a database. Normally you want to
> use additional tables instead. For example multilanguage titles is something
> I would expect to be in a table that had a column referencing back to
> another table defining the object a title was for, a column with the
> title and a column with the language.

The chances are very very good that in 99% of the cases we'd only ever
have a single title. multiple titles would be rare. and, to make it worse,
there are several instances of this where you need a table but its seems
overkill for the odd 1% time when you actually need teh extra row.

of course, the there'd be a language lookup table.

what about the speed and query issue?

___
---