upper() and lower() on varchar - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Maarten Boekhold
Subject upper() and lower() on varchar
Date
List pgsql-sql
Hi,

Is there a way to get upper() and lower() to work on a varchar column? It
seems like these functions are only defined on the text datatype (in 6.3.2).

I guess what I need in this case is some way to convert varchar to text.
Will (text_in(varchar_out(column)) work?

Maarten

| TU Delft, The Netherlands, Faculty of Information Technology and Systems  |
|                   Department of Electrical Engineering                    |
|           Computer Architecture and Digital Technique section             |
|                          M.Boekhold@et.tudelft.nl                         |