Re: [GENERAL] User authentication blues - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Maarten Boekhold
Subject Re: [GENERAL] User authentication blues
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, 30 Jul 1998, Maarten Boekhold wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a 6.3.2 server, and I want to use password authentication.
> So, I gave the user 'postgres' and some other user a password, and I put this
> in my pg_hba.conf:
>
> host         all         127.0.0.1     255.255.255.255   password
> host         all         206.31.72.11  255.255.255.255   password
>
> But I cannot connect this way using a password (psql -u). I can connect
> if I set everything to 'trust', but in that case I can even fool
> posttresql in thinking I'm user postgres while I'm logged on as the other
> user by using password authentication and using 'postgres' as username
> while supplying a fake password.

I've figured out that if I use authtype 'crypt' in pg_hba.conf I can
connect to a database. I don't have to specify 'authtype=crypt' in my
perl-script, 'authtype=passwd' works just fine. Only, I cannot use this
to connect from older clients (ie. a 6.2 system). Too bad.....

Maarten

| TU Delft, The Netherlands, Faculty of Information Technology and Systems  |
|                   Department of Electrical Engineering                    |
|           Computer Architecture and Digital Technique section             |
|                          M.Boekhold@et.tudelft.nl                         |