Re: [GENERAL] Moving Databases - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Maarten Boekhold
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Moving Databases
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, 9 Jul 1998, Jeffrey Napolitano wrote:

> I have two Postgresql databases - one on machine a, one on machine b.
> Both are currently running.  I want to put a copy of the database on a
> onto machine b.  I know I have to stop the postmaster (obviously) on
> database b, but what else is there to do? Which directories do I have to
> move (if that's what I have to do).  Sorry - I know this is probably
> simple, but I'm rushing to meet a deadline.

On machine a:

pg_dump database > db.out

on machine b:

cat db.out | psql template1

(both as postgres superuser). Maybe you gave to create the database first
on machine b.

At least, I think this should work.... And no need to stop any postmasters..

Maarten

| TU Delft, The Netherlands, Faculty of Information Technology and Systems  |
|                   Department of Electrical Engineering                    |
|           Computer Architecture and Digital Technique section             |
|                          M.Boekhold@et.tudelft.nl                         |