VACUUM ANALYZE failed on linux - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Oleg Broytmann
Subject VACUUM ANALYZE failed on linux
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hello!
  I have a production server with Postgres 6.4.2. Every night crom runs
maintainance script, that contayned VACUUM ANALYZE (I use psql).  Few days ago the scrip failed with usual "... backend
closed
connection". I changed it to just VACUUM (this worked) and started
investigation. Please note, the system is RedHat 5.1 on Pentium.
  I dumped the datbase and reloaded it, then ran VACUUM ANALYZE. It failed
(I removed pg_vlock, of course).  I loaded the dump into 6.4.2 on my debugging server - Ultra-1, Solaris
2.5.1 and ran VACUUM ANALYZE. It worked.  I loaded the dump into 6.4.2 on my debugging Pentium with Debian 2.0 and
ran VACUUM ANALYZE. It failed.
  Seems 6.4.2 has problems on linux. Dump file is small (30K in bzip2) - I
can send it if someone want to try to reproduce it.
  BTW, while reloading, I noticed postgres eats virtual memory like a
hungry beast. My RedHat booted on loading (but after reboot db loaded ok). I
have to free much memory on Solaris to load the dump. Does "COPY FROM stdin"
really require so much memory? And how I will feel when my database will
grow even bigger? Sooner or later I couldn't load my own dump. Will I need
to split the dump into chunks?

Oleg.
----    Oleg Broytmann     http://members.xoom.com/phd2/     phd2@earthling.net          Programmers don't die, they
justGOSUB without RETURN.