Re: [HACKERS] PostgreSQL 6.5.1: libpq++ libraries on IRIX 6.5 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Yu Cao
Subject Re: [HACKERS] PostgreSQL 6.5.1: libpq++ libraries on IRIX 6.5
Date
List pgsql-hackers
That's a good point (about interfering with gcc/g++). But I'm still
a bit hesitant about changing the default AR and LD for all other
libraries (although in theory it shouldn't do any harm). And if we
changed the default, gcc/g++ users (who happen to have CC installed
on their system) would again have to find a way to override it. So
attached is another try: I put the mods in interfaces/libpq++/Makefile.in.
That file already had some checks on PORTNAME (for windows) and CXX (for
g++), so it seems adding more checks (for irix5 and CC) doesn't make it
uglier and also gets the job done with minimal impact on other things.

--Yu Cao

On Mon, 6 Sep 1999, Tom Lane wrote:

> Yu Cao <yucao@falcon.kla-tencor.com> writes:
> > Hi Tom, thanks for the tip. I ended up just adding a few lines to
> > Makefile.shlib. Attached is the context diff. The patch has been
> > tested on IRIX 6.5.2 with MIPSpro C and C++ compiler version 7.2.1
> > using -n32 ABI.
>
> That fix bothers me, because it would interfere with someone trying
> to use gcc/g++, wouldn't it?  Seems safer to just alter configure's
> default...
*** interfaces/libpq++/Makefile.in.orig    Mon Sep  6 16:05:01 1999
--- interfaces/libpq++/Makefile.in    Mon Sep  6 16:10:15 1999
***************
*** 48,53 ****
--- 48,61 ----
  SHLIB_LINK= -L../libpq -lpq
  endif

+ ifeq ($(PORTNAME), irix5)
+   ifeq ($(CXX), CC)
+     AR = CC
+     AROPT = -ar -o
+     LD = CC
+   endif
+ endif
+
  # Shared library stuff, also default 'all' target
  include $(SRCDIR)/Makefile.shlib