Re: Complex database for testing, U.S. Census Tiger/UA - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dustin Sallings
Subject Re: Complex database for testing, U.S. Census Tiger/UA
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Around 11:24 on Apr 8, 2003, cbbrowne@cbbrowne.com said:
I think it was my first application I wrote in python which parsed
the zip files containing these data and shoved it into a postgres system.
I had multiple clients on four or five computers running nonstop for about
two weeks to get it all populated.
By the time I was done, and got my first index created, I began to
run out of disk space.  I think I only had about 70GB to work with on the
RAID array.

# Jan Wieck wrote:
# > mlw wrote:
# > >
# > > The U.S. Census provides a database of street polygons and other data
# > > about landmarks, elevation, etc. This was discussed in a separate thread.
# > >
# > > The main URL is here:
# > > http://www.census.gov/geo/www/tiger/index.html
# >
# > While yes, the tiger database (or better it's content) is interesting, I
# > don't think that it can be counted as a "complex database". Just that
# > something is big doesn't mean that.
#
# Just so.
#
# There are doubtless interesting cases that may be tested by virtue of
# having a data set that is large, and perhaps "deeply interlinked."
#
# But that only covers cases that have to do with "largeness."  It doesn't
# help ensure that PostgreSQL plays well when it gets hit by nested sets
# of updates where the challenges involve ensuring the system performs OK
# and does not deadlock when hit by complex sets of transactions.
#
# So that an "interesting" database might involve not only a database, but
# also a set of transactions that hit multiple tables that are to update
# that database.  In effect, something like the "readers/writers" that get
# used to test locking semantics.
#
# This is something that would not be able to solely consist of a set of
# tables; it would have to include streams of updates.  Something like one
# of the TPC benchmarks...
# --
# output = reverse("moc.enworbbc@" "enworbbc")
# http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/rdbms.html
# "If I  could find  a way to  get [Saddam  Hussein] out of  there, even
# putting a  contract out on him,  if the CIA  still did that sort  of a
# thing, assuming it ever did, I would be for it."  -- Richard M. Nixon
#
#
# TIP 3: if posting/reading through Usenet, please send an appropriate
# subscribe-nomail command to majordomo@postgresql.org so that your
# message can get through to the mailing list cleanly
#
#

--
SPY                      My girlfriend asked me which one I like better.
pub  1024/3CAE01D5 1994/11/03 Dustin Sallings <dustin@spy.net>