Re: [GENERAL] Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 09:56:12 +0200 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dustin Sallings
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 09:56:12 +0200
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, 25 Jun 1999, Jim Jennis wrote:

# Not only legacy apps, but data warehousing. Frequently in a production
# environment you use two sets of tables -- production and data
# warehousing...One (production) with "bare bones" indicies to maximize
# transaction performance, and one (a replicate in the data warehouse)
# that you "index the living daylights out of" so that the non db saavy
# managers who want to do ungodly joints and sorts on tables for
# organizational reporting get decent performance.

    Creating lots of indices is far different from creating a single
index on a lot of fields.  Data warehousing is the former.  The problem is
that you can't create a single index with a large number of fields.

--
SA, beyond.com           My girlfriend asked me which one I like better.
pub  1024/3CAE01D5 1994/11/03 Dustin Sallings <dustin@spy.net>