Re: [GENERAL] Limitation - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dustin Sallings
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Limitation
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, 25 Jun 1999, John Huttley wrote:

    Then make a trigger.  Your attitude towards this project would
make sense if you were a paying customer.  If you want to use postgres,
then use it, nobody gets paid any less if you don't.  If you want
structural changes in the database to accomodate a bad design, then you're
free to make them, you have the source.

# The answer is that you are thinking as indexes in the context of fast lookup
# on fields.
#
# However my requirement comes from a need to ensure that every single field
# in the
# table forms a unique combination. (not my design, I might add)
#
# Now you know why, can you append it to the TODO list?
#
# On thinking about it, I wonder if the same field can appear more than
# once in an index. Now that would be weird!
#
#
#
# >> 1.  Have more than 7 fields on a btree index
# >
# >We have never understood why someone would want an index with more than
# >seven columns.
# >
# >--
# >  Bruce Momjian                        |  http://www.op.net/~candle
#
#
#
#

--
SA, beyond.com           My girlfriend asked me which one I like better.
pub  1024/3CAE01D5 1994/11/03 Dustin Sallings <dustin@spy.net>