Re: [GENERAL] Optimizations for busy DB?? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dustin Sallings
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Optimizations for busy DB??
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, 13 May 1999, Brian wrote:

    One obvious thing might be to try to avoid having so many things
hitting the database.  I've found that often when people have that many
connections in use, there's a better way to do it.  This may not be the
case for you since I don't know your application, but the best database
optimizations I've put into place were in the application, having it avoid
hitting the database.

#
# We are running a Database that is having between 100-500 simultaneous
# accesses at any given time.  Are their any flags, switches or
# optimizations on the postgres level that can be done?  such as options
# passed to postgres etc?  We run 6.3.2, and start it like:
#
# su postgres -c '/usr/bin/postmaster -i -S -D/var/lib/pgsql
#
# Thanks for any help.
#
# Brian
#
#
# Brian Feeny (BF304)     signal@shreve.net
# 318-222-2638 x 109    http://www.shreve.net/~signal
# Network Administrator   ShreveNet Inc. (ASN 11881)
#
#
#

--
SA, beyond.com           My girlfriend asked me which one I like better.
pub  1024/3CAE01D5 1994/11/03 Dustin Sallings <dustin@spy.net>