Re: lastval() - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: lastval()
Date
List pgsql-patches
On Mon, 9 May 2005, Dennis Bjorklund wrote:

> The thing is that I don't care how it's implemented, it's the feature
> itself that is more importent to decide if we want it or not. I'm sure the
> code can be fixed so everybody is happy it in the end,

You could implement this on top of the current nextval without backend
changes.

Create a wrapper function on top of nextval that stores the value in a
temp table. Or a session variable if your PL language of choice has
them.

lastval would do a select on the temp table.

- Heikki