Authentication and Perl - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From aaron ross
Subject Authentication and Perl
Date
List pgsql-admin
Hi,
    i am trying to connect to postgres from a Perl script using DBI,
and using an encrypted password.  (for right now i'm doing this on a
local machine, but the idea is obviously to go from a web server to
another machine with postgres on it.) Even though I have this in the
pg_hba.conf file:

local        all                                         crypt
host         all         127.0.0.1     255.255.255.255   crypt

    the perl script connects just fine with a plain text password.

    but if i use perl's crypt function,

$dbh = DBI->connect("DBI:Pg:dbname=dbname", "user", crypt("cleartext",
$randomseedvalue))

    then i can't connect.

    Is this because the crypt in perl is different from that in
postgres?  that would really surprise me.

    Thanks in advance, aaron.