Re: Broken Constraint Checking in Functions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Curt Sampson
Subject Re: Broken Constraint Checking in Functions
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 24 Oct 2003, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> I am not sure we should add something to the SET CONSTRAINT page on
> this.  Our current behavior is clearly a bug, and for that reason
> belongs more on the TODO list, where it already is:

Had it been on the SET CONSTRAINT page, it would have saved me several
hours of debugging. I found the entry only after tracking down the
problem and creating a simple test case to demonstrate it.

We document other bugs on this page, e.g.:
   Currently, only foreign key constraints are affected by this   setting. Check and unique constraints are always
effectively  initially immediate not deferrable.

So why not document this one as well?

>     * Have AFTER triggers execute after the appropriate SQL statement in a
>       function, not at the end of the function
>
> The big question is whether this entry is clear enough for people to
> understand it could bite them.

My big question is, should we expect that anybody reading the
documentation also has to go through the TODO list to see if there are
bugs on the list not mentioned in the manual?

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   +81 90 7737 2974   http://www.NetBSD.org   Don't you know, in this new Dark Age, we're
alllight.  --XTC