Re: Large databases, performance - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Curt Sampson
Subject Re: Large databases, performance
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, 3 Oct 2002, Shridhar Daithankar wrote:

> Well, we were comparing ext3 v/s reiserfs. I don't remember the journalling
> mode of ext3 but we did a 10 GB write test. Besides converting the RAID to RAID-
> 0 from RAID-5 might have something to do about it.

That will have a massive, massive effect on performance. Depending on
your RAID subsystem, you can except RAID-0 to be between two and twenty
times as fast for writes as RAID-5.

If you compared one filesystem on RAID-5 and another on RAID-0,
your results are likely not at all indicative of file system
performance.

Note that I've redirected followups to the pgsql-performance list.
Avoiding cross-posting would be nice, since I am getting lots of
duplicate messages these days.

cjs