Re: [GENERAL] Performance while loading data and indexing - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Curt Sampson
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Performance while loading data and indexing
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 26 Sep 2002, Neil Conway wrote:

> The fact that ext2 defaults to asynchronous mode and UFS (at least on
> the BSDs) defaults to synchronous mode seems like a total non-issue to
> me. Is there any more to the alleged difference in reliability?

It was sort of pointed out here, but perhaps not made completely
clear, that Berkley FFS defaults to synchronous meta-data updates,
but asynchronous data updates. You can also specify entirely
synchronous or entirely asynchronous updates. Linux ext2fs supports
only these last two modes, which is the problem.

cjs