Re: Load sharing question - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Curt Sampson
Subject Re: Load sharing question
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, 9 Sep 2002, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> OK, I didn't go into detail, but the issue is test-and-set assembler
> instructions we use for light-weight locking.  You can't tell me that
> actually works on a cluster, can you?

You bet. But DU clustering (derived from VMS clustering) is one of the
few "pretty much transaparent" clustering systems in the world. It's
very, very cool stuff, IMHO.

However, even with a very, very fast bus between the systems, that's not
to say you're going to like the memory latency when you've got to drag a
shared memory block off another machine on to yours. :-)

Generally, one would want to modify one's program to use locking
mechanisms more suitable for a cluster, and distribute the load more
suitably, as well.

cjs