Re: ProstGreSQL on RAID Question - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Curt Sampson
Subject Re: ProstGreSQL on RAID Question
Date
List pgsql-admin
On Fri, 16 Aug 2002, Chris Ruprecht wrote:

> Thanks Curt - yes, I have the log files on a different drive all
> together. I was thinking more along the lines of OS block size (4 KB)
> vs. Postgres block size (8 KB by default) vs. RAID block size (32 KB).
> Is there anything I should change?

The RAID stripe size is not a big deal; generally you want to keep
it smallish to maximize the number of outstanding requests you can
service at the same time, but I find more often that it's the raid
controller limiting me on this point.

OS block size might as well be the same as postgresql block size;
making it smaller just increases the chances that a block you need
will only be "half" in the cache, and thus require a disk read
anyway.

cjs