Re: Table Inheritance Discussion - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Curt Sampson
Subject Re: Table Inheritance Discussion
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sun, 11 Aug 2002, Don Baccus wrote:

> It's just type extensibility, really.

Yeah.

> As to why, again there's an efficiency argument, as I said earlier some
> joins can be avoided given PG's implementation of this feature:
> [TI and relational examples deleted]

What you gave is not the relational equivalant of the TI case as
implemented in postgres. Modeled correctly, you should be creating
a table for the child, and a view for the parent. Then you will
find that the relational definition uses or avoids joins exactly
where the TI definition does.

> There's also some error checking (using my inherited example):

The relational definition doesn't force the dependency, but as you
can delete and recreate the view at will without data loss, the
amount of safety is the same.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   +81 90 7737 2974   http://www.netbsd.org   Don't you know, in this new Dark Age, we're