Re: One source of constant annoyance identified - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Curt Sampson
Subject Re: One source of constant annoyance identified
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, 28 Jun 2002, Tom Lane wrote:

> > Yeah, but if the queries after that are not using all of the mapped
> > memory, that should be swapped out fairly quickly because the
> > machine is short on memory.
>
> And the swapping activity is exactly the problem, isn't it?

That particular swapping activity would not be a problem. Memory
that's not used gets paged out and that's the end of it. The problem
is that something is *using* that memory, so it's not being paged
out, or if it does get paged out, it gets paged back in again.

cjs