Re: postgresql to support 50GB of data? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Curt Sampson
Subject Re: postgresql to support 50GB of data?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sun, 23 Jun 2002, Hitesh wrote:

> We are building a distributed application where we need to support the
> database of around 50GB in size.

Postgres handles much much larger databases than that, so the size is
not an issue.

> Also there will be around 300 users connected to the system.

I have seen people here with 800 users connected to a system at once.

> The database server needs to be up 24/7.

Depends on your maintenance tasks. Quite frankly, running *any*
database system 24/7, with no time off for maintenance, is an
extremely expensive and difficult proposition.

> Also please suggest what kind of hardware (number of processors,
> RAM, etc.) will be needed to get a good speed of execution from the
> database?
> sorry for some vague parameters like speed and number of requests
> per sec.

Given the parameters you've stated, here are the ranges in which
the hardware you need is likely to reside:

    CPU:
    minimum: 133 MHz Pentium III
    maximum: 8-way 2.4 GHz Xeon

    Memory:
    minimum: 64 MB
    maximum: 8 GB

    Disk:
    minimum: one 3600 RPM IDE drive
    maximum: EMC storage system with 256 x 36 GB 15000 RPM SCSI drives

So the server should cost somewhere between $500 and $12,000,00. (US dollars.)

cjs