Re: Index Scans become Seq Scans after VACUUM ANALYSE - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Curt Sampson
Subject Re: Index Scans become Seq Scans after VACUUM ANALYSE
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 24 Jun 2002, Tom Lane wrote:

> There are a lot of other things we desperately need to spend time
> on that would not amount to re-engineering large quantities of OS-level
> code.  Given that most Unixen have perfectly respectable disk management
> subsystems, we prefer to tune our code to make use of that stuff, rather
> than follow the "conventional wisdom" that databases need to bypass it.
> Oracle can afford to do that sort of thing because they have umpteen
> thousand developers available.  Postgres does not.

Well, Oracle also started out, a long long time ago, on systems without
unified buffer cache and so on, and so they *had* to write this stuff
because otherwise data would not be cached. So Oracle can also afford to
maintain it now because the code already exists.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   +81 90 7737 2974   http://www.netbsd.org   Don't you know, in this new Dark Age, we're
alllight.  --XTC