Re: Index Scans become Seq Scans after VACUUM ANALYSE - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Curt Sampson
Subject Re: Index Scans become Seq Scans after VACUUM ANALYSE
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 24 Jun 2002, J. R. Nield wrote:

> All I'm saying is that the entire postgresql block write must be
> converted into exactly one SCSI write command in all cases, and I don't
> know a portable way to ensure this.

No, there's no portable way. All you can do is give the admin who
is able to set things up safely the ability to turn of the now-unneeded
(and expensive) safety-related stuff that postgres does.

> I agree with this. My point was only that you need to know what
> guarantees your operating system/hardware combination provides on a
> case-by-case basis, and there is no standard way for a program to
> discover this. Most system administrators are not going to know this
> either, unless databases are their main responsibility.

Certainly this is true of pretty much every database system out there.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   +81 90 7737 2974   http://www.netbsd.org   Don't you know, in this new Dark Age, we're
alllight.  --XTC