Re: URGENT: Performance tuning - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Curt Sampson
Subject Re: URGENT: Performance tuning
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sat, 22 Jun 2002, Peter Dimov wrote:

> First I tested with P II 400 MHz 256 MB RAM.
> And second Dual Athlon MP , 1.6 GHz , 1 or 2 GB RAM.
> I expected to get big advantage from the second system and
> was very supprise from the results : I wan only 30 - 40% faster as the first.

Well, did you analyze your load carefully? How much of your
application is CPU-bound, and how much is disk I/O bound? How much
memory do you need to cache the working set, if it can be cached
at all?

Disks are often very important for database work, far more so than
CPU or memory. I have an application with queries that run about
the same on a 600 MHz Pentium III and a dual 2 GHz Xeon system, if
you use the same disks.

> I think the mistake is by tuning....

Very likely.

cjs