Re: size of units in postgresql.conf - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Curt Sampson
Subject Re: size of units in postgresql.conf
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, 10 Jun 2002, Vincent Stoessel wrote:

> Neil Conway wrote:
> > On Wed, 29 May 2002 16:12:51 -0400
> > "Vincent Stoessel" <vincent@xaymaca.com> wrote:
> >
> >>Quick question: what is the unit of memory size used in postgresql.conf?
> >>bytes? kilobytes?
> >>Is the base unit consistent for every field ?
> >
> > No, it depends on the specific configuration directive.
>
> Why is it different for different directives?

Some directives can be changed only in specific increments. For
example, buffers are always 8K, so specifying 68K of buffers can't
work; you'd need to specify 64K or 72K. It's a bit easier, perhaps,
and possibly less mistake-prone, just to say "7" or "8".

cjs