Re: How to deal with crashes? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Curt Sampson
Subject Re: How to deal with crashes?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 24 Apr 2002, Andrey Mishchenko wrote:

> I do not run debug version, so core dump is not available (I'm not sure
> that it's a good idea to run debug version on the real web site, and this
> problem occures only on that particular server).

If by "debug version" we mean a version compiled with -g, it will
be fine.  It shouldn't affect performance at all. All it will do
is make the binary bigger on the disk (not in memory) and make it
take longer to compile.

> What will be the penalties of doing that? (server runs ~10000 queries
> daily)?

This server runs ten thousand queries per day? This is a very low
volume of queries, so unless the queries are hideously complex,
you shouldn't need to worry about performance.

86,400 seconds per day / 10,000 queries works out to one query
every 8.64 seconds. Of course the load will not be perfectly even,
but even so I doubt you'll be seeing a short-term average of more
than one query every two seconds. I recommend you use at least a
386SX-16 system for this. :-)

BTW, there are tools like "top" and "iostat" that can tell you how
loaded your system is. Or you an probably even just look at the
disk lights.

cjs