Re: Patch to add Heimdal kerberos support - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Bill Studenmund
Subject Re: Patch to add Heimdal kerberos support
Date
List pgsql-patches
On Tue, 13 Nov 2001, Tom Lane wrote:

> Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org> writes:
> > Still checking on a good auto-detect.
>
> ISTM that autoconf should be capable of figuring out which version of
> kerberos libraries we have --- that sort of discrepancy is exactly
> what it's designed to handle.

Yes, but I don't know of a good thing to go looking for to tell. :-)

I'm not aware of something which says "Heimdal" or "MIT". Yes, I can
personally look at the libraries, and if I see libroken and libasn1, then
chances are it's heimdal, and if I see libk5crypto (I think that's the
one), chances are it's MIT. But I'd like the configure script to be more
robust - how do we tell if we have a broken install of either type?

I'm not sure, and so I don't want to make that call.

> >> Kerberos APIs --- for example, the krb5_recvauth man pages I can find on
> >> the net describe several more parameters than our code is expecting to
> >> pass.
>
> > For krb5_recvauth()? We are using the right function signature...
>
> According to whom?  I found

According to the krb5_recvauth() source code in my source tree, which is
the Heimdal tree NetBSD 1.5 shipped with.

> http://archive.ncsa.uiuc.edu/General/CC/kerberos/krb5api/krb5api4.html
> in which krb5_recvauth doesn't agree with our code.  (I miscounted
> yesterday, there's only one more parameter described than we pass,
> but it's definitely not the same.)

Weird. Because of this question, I pulled down a copy of MIT kerberos, and
its prototype for krb5_recvauth() matches our usage and also Heimdal's.

I suspect that documentation is out of date, though I can't definitly
tell.

I have no idea what the rc_type (the one the docs show that we don't use)
parameter would have done.

No, I looked at the docs in the MIT kerberos I pulled down, and they list
an rc_type parameter for krb5_recvauth. The code, though, doesn't have
one! Also, nothing else in the doc refers to rc_type....

Take care,

Bill