Re: performance hit with --enable-debug - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Thomas T. Thai
Subject Re: performance hit with --enable-debug
Date
Re: Re: performance hit with --enable-debug  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-general
On Sun, 14 Jan 2001, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Thomas T. Thai writes:
>
> > what kind of performance hit would i endure if i compiled with
> > --enable-debug on -current
>
> The effect in terms of query execution speed is probably minimal.  The
> problem is that the executables get about 15% larger, which can lead to
> longer load times, more memory usage, and ultimately to some speed issues.
> Personally, I wouldn't worry about it too much, especially if you're
> running beta and want to track down potential bugs.

i'm running mnogosearch along with pgsql-current. and performance have
been just terrible to get results back on a resonable time. i couldn't
figure out so i check my ./configure flags. and there it was
--enable-debug. after sending my email to the list, i recompiled w/o debug
and now i can get my results back from a query in less than 2
seconds. before it was 59 secs if it returned at all. size of postgres
went down from 11.5 MB to a little less than 3mb. overall things seem
faster for inserts and selects for newly started backends too.