Re: [HACKERS] Re: [QUESTIONS] Configuration problems in PostgreSQL 6.3.2 on Linux-ELF - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From The Hermit Hacker
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Re: [QUESTIONS] Configuration problems in PostgreSQL 6.3.2 on Linux-ELF
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 21 Apr 1998, Constantin Teodorescu wrote:

> The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> > > Uh, I think this is a question for Marc. What would he expect to be
> > > defined for a platform? I'm pretty sure LINUX_ELF is supposed to be
> > > replaces with, for example, "defined(_GCC_) && defined(linux)" or
> > > something to that effect.
> > >
> > > Marc?
> >
> >         I sort of ignored this one, being a Linux problem :(  Constantin,
> > what sort of error message(s) are you seeing and where?  I'll be more
> > attentive this time, promise :)
>
> So. I tried to compile PostgreSQL from scratch, as I usual do with every
> version.
> $ cd /usr/src/postgresql-6.3.2
> $ cd src
> $ ./configure
>
> At this point, it shows a lot of configuration files and usually asked
> me if {linux-elf} it's ok for me.
> This time, he didn't do so. He start running and checking all sort of
> programs and libraries and finally ended.

    I removed the "question" phase, since there was already the
--with-template= feature in configure...it will try to determine and use
what it feels is appropriate based on a 'uname -s', which doesn't take
into consideration different versions of an OS...

> Compiling all (gmake all) I noticed that in src/interfaces/libpgtcl
> there isn't a libpgtcl.so library and in src/interfaces/libpq there
> isn't libpq.so.
>
> I succeeded getting that libraries editing by hand the Makefile in those
> two directories and introducing a new line LINUX_ELF=true, then make
> clean and make again. I copied libpgtcl.so and libpq.so in my /lib
> directory and PgAccess work now. But for someone who did not know how to
> do that, it could be quit embarassing.

    Thoughts on how this might be fixed? :(