Re: [HACKERS] Developer setup, what works? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From The Hermit Hacker
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Developer setup, what works?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 6 Apr 1998, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > > OK, now I am confused.  Why would you use cvs on your local machine?  I
> > > just use cvsup to download the most recent code, and log into
> > > postgresql.org to use cvs to update my changes.  After the 'cvs update',
> > > I run cvsup again to re-sync my local source with the current tree.
> > >
> > > What am I missing?
> >
> >     The fact that you can login to postgresql.org and update the
> > source tree so that your work doesn't diverge greatly from that which is
> > the main source tree? :)
>
> No, he seems to want to have cvs running on his local machine, at least
> that is what I see Thomas saying.

    Okay...put yourself in his shoes...no access to postgresql.org...

    Now, he can do a cvsup of the sources, which, if he makes any
changes to his sources, overwrites those changes...or, he can cvsup the
cvs repository itself, and manipulate that as if he were connected
directly to postgresql.org...

    Basically, he can do a "cvs update pgsql" to bring in any new
changes, *plus* have CVS auto-merge his changes into it...

    Once way, he submits a whole bunch of little patches, the other he
can work until he ready, on his home machine, and submit one large
patch...both ways he succeeds in staying in sync with any changes that we
make, or anyone else does...one is less convienent to us all then the
other though :)

    BTW...got cheque today...thanks...:)