Re: Correct pg_dumpall Syntax - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Rich Shepard
Subject Re: Correct pg_dumpall Syntax
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 18 Jun 2008, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> This is what I suggest:
>
> download 8.1.13:
> unpack; then:

   Done.

> ./configure --prefix=/tmp/pg813; make install
> cd /tmp/pg813
> bin/pg_ctl -D /usr4/pgsql_old/data start
> cd /
> /usr/bin/pg_dumpall -U <user> > mydatabase.sql

   Modified above a bit. I used /usr3/pg813, needed to su to postgres to
start the daemon, and cd to /usr4/pgsql_old/ to run /usr/bin/pg_dumpall.
That file now exits in /usr4/postgres-backups and is larger than yesterday's
attempt.

> At this point you will have an 8.3 dump of your 8.1 data.

   Looks good to me.

> Then you can reinitialize a new cluster with initdb here:
> /var/lib/pgsql/data (you will have to remove the old one)

   As user postgres, I cleaned out /var/lib/pgsql/data/* and re-initialized.
I had to specify -E UTF8 because 8.3.3 is not finding en_US as a valid
locale coding.

> Then restore as normal using psql -U postgres < mydatabase.sql

   Can't get here.

   As user postgres, I shut down the 8.1.13 process. However, I cannot start
the 8.3.3 daemon running. I tried as user postgres with the pg_ctl command,
and as root running the formerly-working '/etc/rc.d/rc.postgresql start'
command. What I see with the latter is:

[root@salmo /etc/rc.d]# ./rc.postgresql start
Starting PostgreSQL
18162
PostgreSQL daemon already running
Warning: Missing pid file /var/lib/pgsql/data/postmaster.pid

   But, there is no postmaster process running despite having the process ID
of 18162 shown. Sure enough, the pid file is not present, nor is process
18162 there.

   Much closer, Josh, but not quite there yet.

Many thanks,

Rich