Re: Need Help Recovering from Botched Upgrade Attempt - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Rich Shepard
Subject Re: Need Help Recovering from Botched Upgrade Attempt
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 18 Jun 2008, Alan Hodgson wrote:

> If the database was in use when _that_ backup was taken, it may also not
> be usable.
>
> You can't just backup a live database from the filesystem level and expect
> it to work ...

Alan,

   The only database in the cluster that has seen any use recently is the one
for SQL-Ledger. When daily incremental and weekly full backups are made,
there is no activity by any user. All users are logged out of the system
because it's the middle of the night.

   Also, while I'm glad to learn more than I knew before how to go about
making backups and upgrading the PostgreSQL installation, having folks
telling me all I did incorrectly is not as helpful to me as guidance on
getting the cluster correctly transferred from the 8.1.4 version to the
8.3.3 version. My readings and research obviously did not sufficiently
educate me on the proper process.

Thanks,

Rich