Re: Need Help Recovering from Botched Upgrade Attempt - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alan Hodgson
Subject Re: Need Help Recovering from Botched Upgrade Attempt
Date
Re: Need Help Recovering from Botched Upgrade Attempt  (Rich Shepard <rshepard@appl-ecosys.com>)
List pgsql-general
On Wednesday 18 June 2008, Craig Ringer <craig@postnewspapers.com.au> wrote:
> >   Every file from /var/lib/pgsql/ before I started this is on the
> > weekly backup tape from last Friday night. If need be I can restore
> > from that and start over.
>
> Well, no worries then. I'm sure you can understand that for many people
> - way TOO many people - that is not the case, so it's well worth
> stressing the point.

If the database was in use when _that_ backup was taken, it may also not be
usable.

You can't just backup a live database from the filesystem level and expect
it to work ...

--
Alan