Re: Correct pg_dumpall Syntax - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Rich Shepard
Subject Re: Correct pg_dumpall Syntax
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 18 Jun 2008, Andrew Sullivan wrote:

> Can't do it.  Start the old postmaster with -D /usr4/pgsql_old/data, and
> then use pg_dumpall against that backend.

Andrew,

   When I try, I see:

postgres@salmo:/var/lib/pgsql$ postgres -D /usr4/pgsql_old/data
FATAL:  database files are incompatible with server
DETAIL:  The data directory was initialized by PostgreSQL version 8.1, which
is not compatible with this version 8.3.3.

   Am I correct that the 8.1.4 executables have been replaced with the 8.3.3
ones during the upgrade?

   Perhaps I should restore /var/lib/pgsql/data from the backup tape, as well
as /usr/share/postgresql/, /usr/include/postgresql/, and /usr/bin/postgres?

Thanks,

Rich