Re: Re: what worked: performance improvements for geo-spatial searching on FreeBSD - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Oleg Bartunov
Subject Re: Re: what worked: performance improvements for geo-spatial searching on FreeBSD
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Tue, 8 Apr 2008, Mark Stosberg wrote:

> Oleg Bartunov wrote:
>> Mark,
>>
>> do you know about our sky segmentation code Q3C,
>> see details http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/wiki/SkyPixelization
>> We use it for billions objects in database and quite happy.
>
> Oleg,
>
> Thanks for the response. That sounds interesting, but it's not clear to me
> how I would put together a geo-spatial search calculating distances around
> the curvature of the earth using this technique. Is there is a SQL sample for
> this that you could point to?

it's not about calculating distances, but about searching objects around
given point.

> Also, I didn't recognize the names of the techniques you were benchmarking
> against "RADEC" and "Rtree", are either of these related to the
> "earthdistance" or "cube()" based searches I would have used already?

Rtree is a standard spatial tree, RADEC - is naive approach of
having two indexes, one on ra (right ascension) and another - on dec (declination).
Both are an astronomical coordinates.

>  Mark

     Regards,
         Oleg
phone: +007(495)939-16-83, +007(495)939-23-83