Re: count * performance issue - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Matthew
Subject Re: count * performance issue
Date
Re: count * performance issue
List pgsql-performance
On Tue, 11 Mar 2008, Tino Wildenhain wrote:
>> And certain, qualified definitions of "accurate" as well. Race condition?
>
> You mean in a three-state-logic? null, not null and something different?

True, False, and FILE_NOT_FOUND.

No, actually I was referring to a race condition. So, you find the count
of rows with IS NULL, then someone changes a row, then you find the count
of rows with IS NOT NULL. Add the two together, and there may be rows that
were counted twice, or not at all.

Matthew

--
It's one of those irregular verbs - "I have an independent mind," "You are
an eccentric," "He is round the twist."