finding columns that have three or fewer distinct characters - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Jeff Frost
Subject finding columns that have three or fewer distinct characters
Date
Re: finding columns that have three or fewer distinct characters  (Osvaldo Rosario Kussama <osvaldo.kussama@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-sql
I've got an interesting one...I'm trying to find columns that have three or
fewer distinct characters (for example, "aaaaaaaaaa").  Wondering if I need to
write a function or if someone has an idea how to do it with built in
functions and/or pattern matching?

I think the thing to do would be to lowercase everything, then remove all
duplicate chars and spaces, then use length() on that, but it's not obvious to
me how I might remove the duplicate chars with the pattern matching support
in the docs.

--
Jeff Frost, Owner     <jeff@frostconsultingllc.com>
Frost Consulting, LLC     http://www.frostconsultingllc.com/