Re: How to switch off Snowball stemmer for tsearch2? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Oleg Bartunov
Subject Re: How to switch off Snowball stemmer for tsearch2?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, 23 Aug 2007, Dmitry Koterov wrote:

> Oh! Thanks!
>
> delete from pg_ts_cfgmap where dict_name = ARRAY['ru_stem'];
>
> solves the root of the problem. But unfortunately
> russian.med(ru_ispell_cp1251) contains all Russian names, so "Ivanov"
> is converted to
> "Ivan" by ispell too. :-(
>
> Now
>
> select lexize('ru_ispell_cp1251', 'Дмитриев') -> "Дмитрий"
> select lexize('ru_ispell_cp1251', 'Иванов') -> "Иван"
> - it is completely wrong!
>
> I have a database with all Russian name, is it possible to use it (how?) to

if you have such database why just don't write special dictionary and
put it in front ?

> make lexize() not to convert "Ivanov" to "Ivan" even if the ispell
> dicrionary contains an element for "Ivan"? So, this pseudo-code logic is
> needed:
>
> function new_lexize($string) {
>  $stem = lexize('ru_ispell_cp1251', $string);
>  if ($stem in names_database) return $string; else return $stem;
> }
>
> Maybe tsearch2 implements this logic already?

sure, it's how text search mapping works. Dmitry, seems your company could be
my client :)

> On 8/22/07, Oleg Bartunov <oleg@sai.msu.su> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 22 Aug 2007, Dmitry Koterov wrote:
>>
>>> Suppose I cannot add such synonyms, because:
>>>
>>> 1. There are a lot of surnames, cannot take care about all of them.
>>> 2. After adding a new surname I have to re-calculate all full-text
>> indices,
>>> it costs too much (about 10 days to complete the recalculation).
>>>
>>> So, I neet exactly what I ast - switch OFF stem guessing if a word is
>> not in
>>> the dictionary.
>>
>> no problem, just modify pg_ts_cfgmap, which contains mapping
>> token - dictionaries.
>>
>> if you change configuration you should rebuild tsvector and reindex.
>> 10 days looks very suspicious.

>> turning

>> dict_name    dict_init    dict_initoption    dict_lexize    dict_comment

DictFile=/usr/lib/ispell/english.med,AffFile=/usr/lib/ispell/english.aff,StopFile=/usr/share/pgsql/contrib/english.stop

DictFile=/usr/lib/ispell/russian.med,AffFile=/usr/lib/ispell/russian.aff,StopFile=/usr/share/pgsql/contrib/russian.stop.cp1251