Re: tsearch2 patch status report - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Oleg Bartunov
Subject Re: tsearch2 patch status report
Date
Re: tsearch2 patch status report  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
Re: tsearch2 patch status report  (Cédric Villemain <cedric.villemain@dalibo.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 20 Aug 2007, Tom Lane wrote:

> I've applied version 0.58 of the patch with a lot of further
> editorializing.  I feel fairly confident now in the code that interfaces

Great ! Just checked and most things after trivial changes are working !
We need to summarize changes and provide upgraide guide.

> The main thing that is lacking at the moment is documentation.  The
> stuff Bruce has been working on will be good introductory material,
> but we've got basically zip in reference material.  I'll do some work
> on that over the next couple of days, but there's probably room for
> more hands.

We have SQL reference and I'm sure Bruce should have it too. Bruce,
let me know when you do last changes, so I could read docs again

> Also, we need to decide what to do with contrib/tsearch2, which is
> currently DOA because of conflicts with the new core code.  We could
> either rip it out entirely, or try to convert it into a compatibility
> package.  In view of the renamings of functions we agreed to do, I
> think there is some scope for a compatibility package, but I have no
> time to work on that.

Probably, we could leave tsearch2 in contrib as a compat module and
explicitly define 8.4 will be the last release with tsearch2 support.

> This is, by a wide margin, the largest single patch ever to hit the
> Postgres CVS tree.  Congratulations to Oleg and Teodor on seeing
> it through!

It was really hard task for all of us. It's pity I don't drink at all, but
Teodor will drink the health of "text search in PostgreSQL" today !
Tom, as I know,  already drain out bottle of vodka, so Bruce, you need to
join us !

    Regards,        Oleg
phone: +007(495)939-16-83, +007(495)939-23-83