Re: Dealing with tsvector in fuctions for data split - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Oleg Bartunov
Subject Re: Dealing with tsvector in fuctions for data split
Date
List pgsql-general
Francisco,

you need to say us standard information about pg version, error message you
got. Also, it'd be worth to show simplified version of your function, which
demonstrates your problem.

Oleg
On Mon, 6 Aug 2007, Francisco Reyes wrote:

> I am trying to create a function to handle inserts in a database with
> partitions in a particular table.
>
> The function looks like:
> AS $$
> DECLARE
>   v_sql TEXT;
> BEGIN
>   v_sql := 'INSERT INTO messagecatalog_'||
> to_char(NEW.timestampfield,'YYYY')||
>   '(field1, field2) values ('
> ||New.field1||','||New.field2||')
> ')';
>   EXECUTE v_sql;
>   RETURN NULL;
> END
> $$;
>
> The problem I am running into is that one of the fields is a tsvector and
> when I try to concatenate it wit the rest of the string it gives an error.
> The only thing I can think of so far is to start a transaction, insert
> without the tsvector and then do an update to get the tsvector in.
>
> Anyone else had to deal with tsvectors in a fuction?
>
> I am copying some existing data so all the rows already have the tsvector.
>
> If nothing else works I may just not deal with the tsvector in the function
> and see if I just re-create the tsvector for each record as I am insert the
> data.
>
>              http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq

     Regards,
         Oleg
phone: +007(495)939-16-83, +007(495)939-23-83