Re: simple SQL question - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Rich Shepard
Subject Re: simple SQL question
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, 25 Jun 2007, Joshua wrote:

> I have a column with the following values (example below)
>
> 5673
> 4731
> 4462
> 5422
> 756
> 3060

   Are these numbers that will be used in calculations, or are they strings?

> I want the column to display the numbers as follows:
>
> 56.73
> 47.31
> 44.62
> 54.22
> 7.56
> 30.60

   Numeric(4,2) will do this. Also, whatever the UI you are using in your
application can make the translation from display format to storage format.

> I have been playing around with string functions but cannot seem to figure
> out a quick solution. Does anyone have any suggestions?

   If they are strings, why not enter and store them with the decimal point?

Rich