Re: Timestamp with time zone: why not? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Rich Shepard
Subject Re: Timestamp with time zone: why not?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 23 May 2007, km@acrasis.net wrote:

> Would I be right in thinking that, in general, a column to hold timestamp
> values is best created with type 'TIMESTAMP WITH TIME ZONE' and not
> 'TIMESTAMP' nor 'TIMESTAMP WITHOUT TIME ZONE'?

   If the application's users are in different time zones, or accurate time
intervals are important, then time zones should be part of the stored data.
If this is not an issue, and will not be an issue, it does not matter.
However, using 'WITH TIME ZONE' in the DDL means that if the situation
changes you are covered.

Rich