Preferred Installation/Data Directories - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Rich Shepard
Subject Preferred Installation/Data Directories
Date
List pgsql-general
   Seems to me that the preferred filesystem for postgres has varied over the
years from /var/lib/ to /usr/local/ and back again. When I upgraded from
7.4.3 to 8.1.4 the move was from /usr/local/ to /var/lib/. Now, as I prepare
to upgrade and migrate data from 8.1.4 to 8.2.4, I see that the docs all
refer to an installation in /usr/local/.

   Is there a preference? Does it matter? On my system /usr/local/ is 20
times the size of /var/, so it makes more sense to store data where there's
more room.

Rich