Re: tesearch2 question - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Oleg Bartunov
Subject Re: tesearch2 question
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Wed, 7 Mar 2007, Sumeet wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm trying to udpate a table containing  13149741 records. And its taking
> forever to complete this process.
>
> The update query i'm trying to run is for full text indexing similiar to
>
> UPDATE tblMessages SET idxFTI=to_tsvector(strMessage);

How big are your strMessage ? and what's your tsearch2 configuration ?
Can you estimate how long takes updating, for example, 1000 rows ?
It looks like your system is IO bound. What's your hardware ?

> Below are some of the stats which might be helpful for analyzing this
>
> $top
>
>  PID USERNAME LWP PRI NICE  SIZE   RES STATE    TIME    CPU COMMAND
> 3091 postgres   1  43    0   46M   38M cpu/1  200:06  3.20% postgres
> 5052 postgres   1  60    0  149M  134M sleep    0:17  3.12% postgres
>
> <<<here are the top 2 processes, out of which the first process i have been
> running almost for a day and a half and it is still running,
>
> This table which i'm trying to  update has 10 indexes

> "a_article_pk" PRIMARY KEY, btree (id)
>   "a_article_uk_pmid" UNIQUE, btree (pmid)
>   "a_article_idx_abstract" btree ("substring"(abstract::text, 0, 255))
>   "a_article_idx_date_cr_year" btree (date_cr_year)
>   "a_article_idx_ml_journal_info_medline_ta" btree (ml_journal_info_a_ta)
>   "a_article_idx_owner" btree ("owner")
>   "a_article_idx_pmid" btree (pmid)
>   "a_article_idx_status" btree (status)
>   "a_article_idx_title" btree (article_title)
>   "a_master_t_idx_year_published" btree (published_year)
> But no indexes on the field i'm trying to update. The field i'm trying to
> add is a new field.
> Can anyone help me out to figure out why is it taking so much time to update
> the table.
>
> Also as u see in the above indexes, I have some indexes on some varchar
> column which i feel are totally useless unless u so a exact string match.
> But does that help in any sense for improving the speed of retreiving the
> string just normally without any search on it?
>
> Thanks,
> Sumeet.

    Regards,        Oleg
phone: +007(495)939-16-83, +007(495)939-23-83